Search WWW Search

Thursday, March 21, 2013

SharePoint 2007 Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPIisWebSiteWss failed

After upgrading SharePoint 2007 SP3 and Post Feb 2013 CU, I was unable to sucessfully complete the SharePoint Products and Technologies Wizard on step 9. In the ULS logs I was getting the following error:

[SPIisWebSiteWssSequence] [ERROR] [3/14/2013 8:25:31 PM]: Action of Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPIisWebSiteWssSequence failed.

[SPIisWebSiteWssSequence] [ERROR] [3/14/2013 8:25:31 PM]: 1387

[SPIisWebSiteWssSequence] [ERROR] [3/14/2013 8:25:31 PM]: at Microsoft.SharePoint.Win32.SPNetApi32.NetLocalGroupAddMember(String groupName, String userName)

The key thing to take away from this is the portion where it says NetLocalGroupAddMember(String groupName, String userName)

This means there are orphaned accounts that are still being used in SP. In my case I went through several places to check.

1. Central Admin, Operations, Update Farm Administrators Group. Delete any users that don't exist.

2. Central Admin, Application Managment, Site Collection Administrators. Delete any users that don't exist.

I re-ran the SharePoint Products and Technologies Wizard and still failed. I than ran

stsadm -o provisionservice -action stop -servicetype spwebservice -servicename ""

stsadm -o provisionservice -action start -servicetype spwebservice -servicename ""

Than I re-ran the wizard from the command prompt and it completed sucessfully.

psconfig -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b

However at this point when I try to configure versioning settings on any list it still fails. This was my original problem. When you set versioning you receive the error:

Unexpected query execution failure, error code 8144. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below. "Procedure or function proc_UpdateListSettings has too many arguments specified." Query text (if available): "SET NOCOUNT ON; BEGIN TRAN; DECLARE @@iRet INT;EXEC @@iRet=proc_UpdateListSettings '5D03B895-A13F-4A5B-8E74-F851AF19BC22','1B8615A3-5964-4F96-BCF2-5519042DB5B9',N'{B7EECCB4-2EDD-463E-A974-BA5781F9E47B}',0,100,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL

I then rechecked my app pools, Identity, verify these accounts are still active. This was the culprit for me. There were a few app pools running with accounts that no longer existed after we did a forest migration. I updated the accounts to the a valid farm service account and ran the commands:

psconfig -cmd secureresources

psconfig -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b

After re-running the config wizard it, versioning is working.

To sum up, ensure all services with orphaned accounts are rehomed than run psconfig -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b. I probably didnt' need to run the commands below which at least allowed the configuration wizard to complete.

stsadm -o provisionservice -action stop -servicetype spwebservice -servicename ""

stsadm -o provisionservice -action start -servicetype spwebservice -servicename ""

Just ensure all orphaned accounts are updated prior to running any SP or CU upgrade and especially before runnning the configuration wizard.
xml:lang="en" lang="en"> MS Exchange Tips: March 2013